Place Title: Hines Creek HotelPlace Description:
The Hines Creek Hotel is rich in personality and keeps bands and fans coming back time and time again. Whether it is the comfortable atmosphere, the delicious homemade food or the friendly staff and customers, visitors always come back for more. The Hines Creek Hotel has been a landmark in the little Village of Hines Creek since 1931. The hotel has many stories to tell and the locals and staff are always willing to give you a good story.
The majority of their food is locally sourced and all homemade. On the weekends you can enjoy local entertainment and even karaoke on some nights.Address: 106 10 St
CanadaTelephone Number: (780) 494-2775Email:The Hines Creek Hotel is rich in personality and keeps bands and fans coming back time and time again. Whether it is the comfortable atmosphere, the delicious homemade food or the friendly staff and customers, visitors always come back for more. The Hines Creek Hotel has been a landmark in the little Village of Hines Creek since 1931. The hotel Read more...
Place Title: Peace Valley Snow RidersPlace Description:
The Peace Valley Snow Riders are dedicated to promoting responsible snowmobiling in the Mighty Peace and developing trails which are intended to form a network on both the east and west side of Peace River. Get out of the house this winter with your family and friends and enjoy their beautiful trails.
You can purchase memberships and trail passes in Peace River at; Mighty Peace Powersports, Maximum Powersports and Thomas Homes RV. As well in Hines Creek at; Scanalta Sales or online at albertasnowmobile.ca
Please Note: If purchasing online, please be sure to state that Peace Valley Snow Riders is your home club.
There are currently three great groomed trails in the Mighty Peace:
Wesley Creek Trail
Officially opened March 5, 2016 in conjunction with the Club’s first Poker Rally. This 30 km trail runs in a loop to the east and north of St. Isidore. The staging area can be accessed from Township Road 842 north of St. Isidore.
Leddy Lake Trail
Officially opened March 19, 2011. Located north of Peace River. Runs 40 km north from the Leddy Lake Recreation Area to the area of Driftwood Lake near Deadwood. The trail also includes a small loop near the Leddy Lake Recreation Area.
Smith Mills Trail
Officially opened March 11, 2017. The East End Staging Area is located to the north of Grimshaw and the West End Staging Area is located to the north of Hines Creek. Runs 60 kilometers from north of Figure Eight Lake to just east of Stony Lake. This trail includes a loop near the west end of the trail that has a magnificent view of the area.
Future Trails for the Mighty Peace:
Work on this trail was formally initiated in the spring of 2015 and is currently in the final approval process. Final approval is expected to be in place shortly, hence if funding can be identified this trail could be developed during the winter of 2017/18. This 50 km trail would link the Smith Mills Trail with the Village of Hines Creek and in doing so, would be the first trail in the area offering sledders direct access to fuel, food, lodging and repair services similar to trails in Eastern Canada. Stay tuned for the opening date.
As one of the original 3 trails identified by the Club and approved in principle in December of 2009 along with the Leddy Lake and Wesley Creek trails, further work has been delayed during the development of the Club’s other trails. This proposed trail would be an extension to the Wesley Creek Trail and will potentially run north along the power line which is adjacent to the DMI east haul road. Work could proceed once the Hines Creek Trail is complete if a Trail Sponsor to lead the project is identified.
Additional Trail Plans:
As part of the long range goal to complete a network of trails on both the east and west sides of the Peace River, there is also commitment to link our local network to those of other member Clubs of the Alberta Snowmobile Association as part of an overall network of trails within the Province of Alberta. From a conceptual perspective the Club has identified the potential of the following trails becoming part of the local trail network, Dixonville Connector & Talbot Lake Trail.Category: Attractions, Town of Grimshaw, Village of Hines Creek, Mighty Peace Essentials, Outdoors, Parks & Lakes, Town of Peace River, M.D. of Peace, Sights & Experiences, Town of Saint Isidore, and Winter ActivitiesAddress: Leddy Lake Staging Area
CanadaTelephone Number: (780) 618-6649The Peace Valley Snow Riders are dedicated to promoting responsible snowmobiling in the Mighty Peace and developing trails which are intended to form a network on both the east and west side of Peace River. Get out of the house this winter with your family and friends and enjoy their beautiful trails. Memberships/Trail Passes You can purchase memberships and trail Read more...
4-sheet curling rink as well as an arena used mainly for hockey and figure skating. There is also a hall with a full kitchen. Read more...
Place Title: World’s Largest Railroad SpikePlace Description:
Where is the World’s Largest Railroad Spike? In Hines Creek!!
When WWII broke out, construction on the railroad in northern Alberta came to a halt – in Hines Creek. The line sat unfinished until well after the war was over, but has long since completed. During the time after the war, the town become known as “the end of steel”, a moniker it has kept ever since.Address: Hines Creek
CanadaWhere is the World’s Largest Railroad Spike? In Hines Creek!! When WWII broke out, construction on the railroad in northern Alberta came to a halt – in Hines Creek. The line sat unfinished until well after the war was over, but has long since completed. During the time after the war, the town become known as “the end of steel”, Read more...
Place Title: End of Steel MuseumPlace Description:
END OF STEEL MUSEUM
Bringing the homesteading history of Hines Creek to life.
The End of Steel Museum opened to the public in 1985 and has been growing and evolving ever since. The museum celebrates the history of the Hines Creek area which is unique because it was the end of the railway line. The tracks were built only to the point that freight rates would have increased and no further. This entailed the moving of the village, from its original site on the creek from which it takes its name, to the present day location. Hines Creek became a transportation hub with the arrival of the first train in December of 1930 and at one point there were five grain elevators along the tracks.
The museum has three historic houses: the Pohaboff House (1928) which is a good example of the sort of small hand-hewn log house built by arriving immigrant settlers; the Carter House (1938) is an unusually large and somewhat grand home, especially as it was built during the Great Depression as Art Carter (of Carter Camp) owned a sawmill; the French “Half-House” (1948-1949) is exactly that, only half the two story home was ever constructed due to financial problems, the staircase is incredibly narrow. These three homes are furnished with time appropriate artifacts to give visitors the feeling that the owners’ might return at any moment.
Hines Creek School #4430 is a one room log structure which allows one to imagine what it must have been like to ride to school three on a pony or try to learn when it was so cold out that the wood stove had to be stoked to the point that it was quite literally red hot. There are two historic churches, Christ Lutheran Church (1928-1932) preserved and restored by children of the original builders and St. James Anglican (1938) was erected through a donation from the Women’s Auxiliary of St. James Anglican Church in Stratford, Ontario, prior to that the congregation had to make due with meeting in schools and homes and with Miss Eva Hasell’s Sunday School Caravan.
The museum also has a Trapper’s log cabin which while not that old (1975) is no different from a much earlier trapper’s cabin. Although tiny and crude, the temporary shelters resorted to while out on the trapline made this a welcome home base. We also have a caboose, NAR 13021 which was built in Montreal in 1949, and served as bedroom, office, and kitchen for three railmen. In 1945 Morgan’s Confectionary began as John and Mary Morgan’s clothing store, later the couple also had a cafe, grocery, the bus depot and sold all manner of licenses in Hines Creek, after John’s passing in 1967 Mary returned and started the confectionary, running it until she was 91.
The Wildlife and Forestry exhibits are housing in a stunning contemporary log building. Inside it boasts an amazing display of local wildlife set in an autumn boreal forest and a comprehensive display of the sort of hand tools that were used to build settlers homes, as well as early chain saws. We also have a large collection of agricultural equipment and machinery, hand tools and early tractors and vehicles, including a Bombardier “Nodwell” the track vehicle that kept the Canadian north connected. Two projects we are currently working on are a Ukrainian Heritage building and a working blacksmith’s shop in our new Blacksmith building.
Lubeck Hall is a good example of the sort of community hall that dotted the area, built so that the scattered farm population could have a place to come together, to dance and play and get the news. Today is the location of our Saturday Farmers’ Market, which is a popular place to chat over a cinnamon bun hot out of the oven and a cup of coffee.
Pancake Breakfast, 8:30 – 11:00, Canada Day, July 1st.
Adults $10:00, Children 6 – 12 $5.00, Children under 5 free.
Pancakes with fresh berries, whipped cream and syrup, ham and eggs make for a delicious breakfast and Morgan’s Confectionary is decorated to celebrate Canada Day!
Heritage Day, 8:30 – 6:00, Monday of the August long weekend.
Entry by Donation.
A pancake breakfast begins the day followed by demonstrations of pioneer crafts, log sawing, an antique tractor parade, horse drawn wagon rides, bannock baked over an open fire, blacksmithing demonstration, petting zoo, games for children, a country market, bread baked in our historic outdoor clay oven, live music, and of course, tours of the museum buildings. There will be hamburgers, hot dogs, homemade pie and ice cream, lemonade and iced tea for sale starting at noon.
The museum is located at the intersection of Highway 64 and Highway 685, the southern most of the two exits for Hines Creek.
Mailing Address: End of Steel Museum, Box 686, Hines Creek, AB, T0H 2A0
Office: 780-494-3522 (Answering Machine)
Curator: 780-834-6538 Jean Young (Wed. – Sat.)
Bookings: 780- 835-7827 (Weddings, School Tours, Hall Rental)
Open mid May to mid Sept.
Monday to Saturday 10:00 – 6:00
Sunday 1:00 – 6:00
Last tour of buildings 4:30Address: Hines Creek
CanadaEND OF STEEL MUSEUM Bringing the homesteading history of Hines Creek to life. The End of Steel Museum opened to the public in 1985 and has been growing and evolving ever since. The museum celebrates the history of the Hines Creek area which is unique because it was the end of the railway line. The tracks were built only to Read more...